Wednesday 4 April 2018

My first day


I still remember my first day. How excited I was and scared. I remember telling myself ‘whatever happens do not let them find out, you don’t know the first thing about cars‘. I didn’t even have any working clothes so I put on the only pair of jeans I onwed (even I knew that working in leggins wasn’t such a great idea).
And so I met Alex – my teacher mechanic. He was just working on nearside wishbone when I got there. Not that I had any idea what wishbone was back then. Later we changed anti-roll bar on another car and that was my word of the day – anti-roll bar. I spent my first day learning the names of different tools which was not easy as I didn’t have any idea how those things are called in my language, not to mention in English. At the end of the day I managed to remember what grease means.

I got to take out few screws. Not an easy task for someone who didn’t know which way was opening and which way was closing. And ratchet? It took me several days to understand it and even after that it was less difficult to remember that if the flap was pointing left the ratchet would open the bolt. I know, I know…but it’s not funny. I just had no need to learn these things before as I have never had to get my hands dirty. Before this garage I worked in a car wash which was hard work but not dirty work. And I have never had to use these skills home. And I am a girl, girls don’t have to know this so stop laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment